Saturday, July 01, 2006

Looking ahead at my screen

Another sleepless Friday night

Actually, Saturday morning -- Could have gone out to Tokyo but couldn't get my lazy ass off anywhere. Beside, I'm broke and preferred to focus on writing some more. That went off the window as I started watching Kurosawa's masterpiece: The Seven Samurai. A beautiful movie. Simple and yet, with a good dose of complexity in the characters and atmosphere.After watching the whole "Samurai 7" anime series, I had to watch the film it based itself on and what a treat. I think I should watch Yojimbo, Throne of Blood and Kagemusha again. Watched RAN recently (like every year) and my Kurosawa's attack had not dwindled down for now. Then again, it might just be a Samurai's rush to cleam my mind from Cruise "Last Samurai".So after Shogun Samurai, Samurai Fiction (Beautiful) and Okamoto's Sword of Doom, I feel the need to see some more Japanese style cut and slash.

My ongoing project has lifted up in the air last week-end and 17% of it is done at the moment. Spoke to Gauchita about it and she thinks it sounds like a good idea. Never shared this with anyone else online but there's a good amount of trust I give to some people out here. From a paranoid freak, that's saying a lot about my respect for her. I do like brainstorming but I usually do it with a couple of people in real life. My boss, Don and my best friend, Nick are two I regularly speak to about my projects.

It's sometimes tough not to have a crowd of writers I could speak to on a regular basis but thankfully, I got DDers. Hi Monica. Should at least acknowledge people that take the time to email me. All comes down to respect. Some would say it is a business. I say that if I live in it, this business becomes somewhat personal. Nothing wrong with being friendly and knowing people. Some may be snobs and ignore me-- In due time, see who will be the one smirking.

So yes, I have some kind of beef with 2A now. Maybe some are reading this blog and putting me on ignore after reading my disappointment in them. Well, tough luck. Reciprocation wasn't made. I'm turning the page. Too bad really. Of course, a couple of members there are also friends from DDP so no hard feelings toward them since they had contacted me in the past. The only reason why I would go there now is to check on CE. OF course, I have his blog and that will make it my fix.

Questions and answers. Yaddee Yadda. Couple of emails and PMs about my Natalie Portman's adulation. Some people actually think it is nothing else but a physical attraction. I'd answer and say that I would be blind not to be swept away by her beauty but it is her presence that makes me drop to my knees. I could have a long discussion or post about Nat but I'm going to leave it at that for now. She is my muse. There is no denying this. All my main female characters are based on her look and presence. Here's another goal of mine, isn't it?

I'm off for a week starting today. I plan on bringing my project to the beginning of Act 2 at the very least. Other than that, I have a few scripts to read and movies to watch. Saturday (technically today) will all be about the World Cup. Go France and England! After the joke of a game I've seen with Portugal, I have lost a lot of respect for them. Brazil, on the other hand, is a favourite of mine but seeing that I am also French, I will give my nods to Zizou and Titi. Allez les Bleus!

It's going to be a short post. Got to keep it short.

Something else that popped in my head is my sight on those agencies out there. ICM, UTA or CAA. I'd be a moron not to drool over one of the agencies representing me either for a project (pocket) or stable relation. Need to also find a manager. Sure, I need to focus on the writing. Sure, I need to bring something more than just a couple of scripts under my belt but heck, I will come to cross this bridge sooner than later. Got to plan ahead as well. It's business common sense, isn't it? I wonder about those boutiques so maybe someone can tag me on this and give me some ideas as of who I should be smiling first to.

I'm content with myself at this time. Not completely satisfied but I am at least confident I am heading somewhere. The rush of passion and the ecstatic feel of a first draft has gone by and faded. I'm on my two feet and no more am I making baby steps. A good friend talked to me about my knowledge of structure. I told her I knew it but I think she might have misunderstood my answer. I know structure's BASIS. I am learning still. There's a lot to do and achieve. You know who you are and thank you for the friendly slap. Needed that.

Up to now, I have 4-5 scripts on the table. I haven't done anything with them other than Copyrighting them. This project is something excellent. I feel amazing about it and God willing, I will be able to go down on my knees when it'll allow me to be in LAX.It's a long journey. It was a long path to get there, I've made it so far with nothing but a couple of friends supporting me morally. If you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain. That's who I am. It's where I'm heading. I've said it before, I will take my time and each of the instant I pour myself on FD, I make it count.

Dreams...Blink Blink.